The original NEMKO (Norges Elektriske Materiellkontroll)
was established in 1933 as an institution for mandatory safety testing
and national approval of electrical equipment to marketed and sold in
Norway for connection the public utility network.
Later, also testing of radio interference requirements
became part of the approval regime.
In 1990, as Norway entered into the European Economical Area agreement,
the European Community Directives for product safety were adopted, whereby
the traditional mandatory approval scheme was abandoned. In this connection,
NEMKO was transformed into an independent, self-owned foundation, having
a council of representatives from different interest groups (industry
and trade organizations, consumer associations, utility companies etc.)
as the highest level of supervision. At the same time, the foundation
established and became the sole owner of Nemko AS, which constitutes
the central operating company and is responsible for what is today denoted
the Nemko Group.
Since 1992, both the scope of services and the global presence of Nemko
have been drastically expanded.
The Nemko Group today offers testing, inspection and certification
services concerning products, machinery, installations and systems worldwide.
(See Nemko Group Fact Sheet)